Monday, December 22, 2008

I was reading

It's funny how sometimes the simplest of messages strike you. I was reading today in Matthew 18 how in the Parable of the Lost sheep, "not to despise one of these little ones." I thought about how simple a message that is and how it shouldn't be hard to apply it. He goes on to say "unless, you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." Here again, a simple message, or so it seems.

Today I appreciated the comparison since spending the day with my children has proved that they totally and completely rely on ME. I am here for safety if something should happen like Ava Grace falling and hurting her head. I am here for food when they get hungry and Kate wants more milk in her sippy cup. I am here for comfort since Ava needs cream on her diaper rash. I am here for hugs and giggles as we played airplane. (where they "fly" on my feet) I am even here for the harder part of parenting....discipline as I had to spank Kate for disobeying mommy for the "umpteenth" time.

God is asking us to rely on HIM and live freely just as our kids do each and every day. I don't see Kate running around worried about her morning snack or Ava Grace stressed over her diaper rash. They play, run, giggle, and they know WHERE to go when it's time for comfort, food, love, and even where the discipline comes from. We can do that, can't we? Trust in Him as our Father, who is a better stay at home parent than we'll ever be.

2 comments:

Tara said...

Amen and amen, sister! Thank you for that encouraging word from your quiet time...

It was so good to talk with you today! I have missed you! Sure wish that our houses were right next door, just like our classrooms used to be... Oh how much fun we'd have...now with kids of our own!

Merry Christmas to your precious family! We'll talk soon:) Much love!

Unknown said...

Thanks Tara! I wish we were side by side too. I appreciate the wisdom you shared from your experience. Merry Christmas to you and your family as well. Love the picture.